In 2004, community and sports leaders along with the Pensacola Sports Association met to create the first high-school all-star game - football. The goal was to create an event to showcase Pensacola area seniors in one last game in their high school career.
Football remained the only sport for three years before volleyball and baseball and softball were added in 2007. Men's and women's soccer were later added and finally basketball added in 2010.
Since its creation with the inaugural football game in 2004, over 1,300 of the finest athletes from Escambia, Santa Rosa and Okaloosa counties have showcased their skills for college scouts, family and classmates and built friendships with former on-field rivals. The success of these games has proven itself with 60 athletes from the 2015/2016 games continuing their sport at the college level.
Eligible schools include any program that has a sport that is recognized and participates in a FHSAA classification. Each eligible school in the three county area, is guaranteed at least one spot on the all-star team, given they have an eligible senior, and every player will play in the game. Pensacola Sports focuses on sportsmanship and making sure every all-star plays and has a memorable time, rather than focusing on winning or losing. The head coach of each school nominates his or her seniors. A selection meeting is then held, led by that year's chosen all-star coach, to select each team's respective roster. Roster sizes vary by sport and are larger than a normal high school to give more kids an opportunity to play in the all-star game.
In 2010, Subway and The Andrews Institute became the title and presenting sponsor of the series, renaming it to the Subway High School All-Star Series Presented by The Andrews Institute. All athletic training and sports medicine will be provided by The Andrews Institute staff and doctors. Academy Sports + Outdoors joined the series to sponsor a fan contest for each each game. Each participant has the opportunity to win up to $200 in Academy Sports + Outdoors Gift Cards.
- To provide the opportunity for the area high school seniors to be recognized for their accomplishments in their respective sports
- To provide playing for all player selected
- To provide a fun environment and positive experience for players, coaches, and fans
- To provide players the social opportunity to interact with players from other schools in an environment conducive to creating new and lasting friendships
- To provide an opportunity for participants to be exposed to college recruiters for the opportunity to continue their education
Tag your instagram photos #subwayallstar to see your photos on our site!